Breakfast can be simple, nourishing and good without it taking a lot of time or fuss. Because figuring out what to eat and having to tally up calories can be tedious, I’ve put together a list of 31 quick, easy, low calorie breakfast ideas.
All you need to do is pick 2 or 3 that work for you. Then simply check the calorie count on the specific ingredients you choose for each menu. Once you are familiar with the calorie count for your favorite ingredients it becomes much easier to mix and match to create your own unique breakfast combos.
Most of breakfast ideas I’m sharing here should provide less than 350 calories along with plenty of healthy nutrients to get you off to a good start.
1. 1 Whole Wheat Waffle spread with Peanut Butter Yogurt mixture (1/4 cup plain yogurt with 1 tbsp. peanut butter), 1 fresh orange
2. Top a couple of whole grain slices of bread with sliced tomatoes and grated low fat cheese. Heat in a toaster oven till cheese melts.
3. Scrambled Eggs (1 whole egg or 1/4 – 1/2 cup egg substitute, 2 tsp. light butter by Land O’Lakes (with part canola oil), top the cooked eggs with 1/4 cup grated low fat cheese, enjoy with 1/2 cup fresh berries,
4. 1/2 cup oatmeal, prepare/enjoy with 4 oz. skim/nonfat milk, 1 fresh orange
5. 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese (1% milk fat), 1 whole wheat English muffin, 1 cup sliced strawberries or other berry, 1 hard-boiled egg
6. One 6 oz. container low fat yogurt, small blueberry muffin, 1 kiwi fruit, a few almonds
7. 1 Blueberry Fiber Cake (80 calories, Zen Bakery), 1 Light n’ Fit Creamy Raspberry Yogurt (100 calories, Dannon Yogurt), 1 hard-boiled egg, 4 oz. orange juice or 1 serving fruit
8. 1 cup chopped veggies of your choice sautéed (tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.), add 1 whole egg beaten or 1/2 cup egg substitute to cooked veggies in the pan to make a frittata, enjoy with 1 small oat bran muffin
9. 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese topped with blueberries and a touch of real maple syrup drizzled on top, enjoy with 1 small bran muffin
10. Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (about 270 calories for 3 2-inch cookies), pair with 4 oz. dairy or non-dairy milk
11. Scramble 1-2 whole eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute then add to a small whole wheat tortilla, top with salsa, roll-up. Add a bit of low fat cheese or milk to round out the meal.
12. Mini pizza – 1 Whole Wheat English Muffin, 2 slices turkey bacon, 2 slices tomato, top with 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese (80 calories Sargento), heat in toaster oven till cheese melts
13. 1 cup Chex Multi-Grain Cereal, 4 oz. skim/nonfat milk, 4 oz. orange juice or 1 serving fruit
14. Fill celery sticks with a total of no more than 2 tbsp. of Peanut Butter, add raisins on top and you’re good to go!
16. 1 cup Oatmeal Squares Cereal, 1/2 cup fresh berries, 4 oz. skim/nonfat milk, 4 oz. orange juice or 1 serving of fruit
17. Spread two halves of a whole wheat English muffin with 1-2 Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, add slices of tomato, sliced hard-boiled egg plus 2-3 slices of cucumber per half. Season to taste. Enjoy as is.
18. 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese (1%), mix in chopped fresh veggies of choice (tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet bell peppers, etc.), top with 1/4 cup salsa, enjoy with a slice of whole wheat toast
19. 2 Nutri-grain Whole Wheat Eggo Waffles, Spread with a mix of 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt plus 1 tsp. honey, 4 oz. orange juice or 1 serving of fruit
20. 1 small oat bran muffin, 1 tbsp. Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, 1/2 Grapefruit or 1 fresh orange,
21. 1 cup Oatmeal Crisp Cereal with Raisins, 4 oz. skim/nonfat milk, 4 oz. Cranberry Apple Juice or 1 serving fruit
22. Scrambled eggs (4 tbsp. egg substitute or 1 whole egg. Cook with 1 tbsp. Land O’Lakes light butter with canola oil OR 1/2 tbsp. olive or canola oil), 1 slice whole wheat bread (120 calories or less), 1/2 tbsp. Smuckers Simply Fruit Jam
23. 1/2 cup Kashi Mountain Medley Cereal, 4 oz. skim/nonfat milk, 4 oz. orange juice or 1 serving fruit
24. 1 packet Quaker Instant Plain Oatmeal Cereal, 4 oz. skim/nonfat milk, 2 tbsp. raisins, 2 tsp. light brown sugar, 4 oz. orange juice or 1 serving fruit
25. 1 cup Shredded Frosted Wheat, 4 oz. skim/nonfat milk, 1 hard-boiled egg
26. Waffles with Scrambled Eggs ( 2 whole wheat waffles, 1/4 cup egg substitute prepared in 1 tbsp. light Land O’Lakes Butter or 1/2 tbsp. olive oil or canola oil), top waffles with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
27. 1 whole wheat Sandwich Thin, 1/2 tbsp. Land O’Lakes Light Butter for spread, 1 hard-boiled egg, 1 fresh orange
28. 3/4 cup Kashi Heart to Heart Cereal, 1 cup Soy Dream Enriched Vanilla Soy Milk, 1/2 cup fresh berries
29. Make your own healthy trail mix (mix a favorite healthy dry breakfast cereal with dried fruit and nuts). Enjoy a small portion with 1 stick of mozzarella string cheese, 1 serving of fruit
30. Make a smoothie. Check out my smoothies for weight loss recipes.
31. Yogurt Parfait – 1 small low fat yogurt (high protein Greek yogurt is a good choice), 1/4 cup of low sugar dry breakfast cereal, 1/2 cup berries. Layer and enjoy!
There you have it. 31 quick, easy, and low calorie breakfast ideas. I genuinely hope these provide you with some new possibilities! Maybe they can be a starting point for coming up with your own ideas.
Have a great week!